Blog Archive

new design walls!

UPDATE
if i have not heard from my party guest winners by 7/10... i will have to void your win... and replace your position with the next winner. thanks and i hope you all can understand the need to wrap this party up! :)
i lOVE three day weekends!!! especially when you get to hang out with your family and have your hubby's help with a great, big list of huney do's! LOL... there were many accomplished this weekend... but i thought i'd share my favorite one today! my new design walls!!!

( new quilt & pillow top for a special friends house warming gift! a tut coming soon for this easy FQ quilt top! )

aaron helped me make two... and they were so easy and turned out so functional... i want 10 more! i had been looking at Ashley's for a while ( her's looked very firm and not just hanging on the wall like mine or the floor for that matter... which is soooOOooo not functional at my house )... but i always ran into the same concern about hers and my current one... and that's... the big, fat concern of... well, what if i'm not ready to sew this quilt together right now and need more thinking time on it??? do i pull it off and revisit it later, so i can move onto the other five hundred or so ideas in my head??? how can these design walls give me more options, but in a small space without removing my current work... plus... hold up nicely???

that brought me to these!! one you can see has already been covered in batting.. the other was waiting for her turn ;)


Supplies:
- two sheets (8 X 4ft) of Pink Panther fiber board sheeting { that we bought at Home Depot for $20.00 each }... these are 3 inches thick, very dense, and incredibly light weight.
- one can of spray adhesive ( we bought the store brand at Home Depot )
- batting ( i bought warm & natural on white on the roll at Fabric Depot w/ a coupon of course!! 3.5 yards )
- and a staple gun (if you've got one... this is just for extra hold... the project would work with out it too!)
- a couple saw horses ( to hold your board while covering it )
- a exacto knife

we first cut off one foot of height from 8ft to 7ft ( since our house has 8ft ceilings ) with our exacto knife.

next... (after laying them on top of our saw horses )... all we did was spread the batting over the fiber board ( by rolling the batting over it while spraying adhesive and wiping out all the wrinkles of the batting in the same process! easy peasy ) it's just like sandwiching a quilt together with spray!

then... we flipped our board over and neatly ( like wrapping a present ) sprayed the batting in place and secured the corners with a few staples.




wall - lah!!

the end result was two... very sturdy, very light weight (for easy transport or storage), stackable, and generous sized fabric design walls ( combined 7 X 8ft )!




and yes... ashley was right... by having them in my dinning area... it is really like having a moving art piece in your house ( which we love on a daily bases )... but with this method, i can easy move them into my bedroom for storage if special events require me to do so.. IE: Christmas dinner ;)

P.S.
A good friend of mine contacted me about his design wall he made and he had some good tips… so I thought I’d share those too!! :)

Per Ryan ( I’m just a guy who Quilts )
I used a 1" thick piece. Not sure what other thickness' they had. I would go thicker if I buy another. I have 2 now. The boards are really light weight and really easy to move around the room. One word of caution though is that if you like to open up your windows in the room, sometimes if the breeze gets strong, they board will blow over.

I discovered that if you use regular round head pins you could stick them all the way through and they came out the other side. It makes it hard if you want to stack them to put away for storage (with your blocks attached) because you would have to leave the pins sticking out a little. You had to be careful of how you stacked them.

If you use the short appliqué pins you could stick them all the way in so they are flush with the board and they don't go through. Your blocks can stay right on them and you can stack them against each other for coming back to later!



i also had enough time to escape for a bit and hang out with two very dear friends... miss Terri and miss Joan. of course being local Portlander's... we had to swing by Fabric Depot for some retail therapy and then off to lunch we went! i had such a good time visiting with my crafting friends... (i adore my real life friends, but they don't get my obsession like my virtual ones!! haha...)

and of course being them... they brought me birthday gifts! miss Terri brought me this fabulous linen bag, based off of my favorite vintage Pyrex design ( friendship )... she is seriously talented! let's just leave it at that!! LOL


and of course she filled it with wonderful goodies ( all in my favorite colors! ) she's such a dollface!!


and miss Joan was more than generous with a 1/2 yard set of Nicey Jane by Heather Bailey! i actually ( i know, i know ) didn't have this line yet and am a little bit more than excited to cut into it!! thanks you girls you all made my week!! :)



i sure hope you all had a wonderful holiday weekend that was full of family and crafts!!
XO, Heather