Blog Archive

Tina Givens is in the HOUSE!!!

How fun is this!??... I was asked by Lark Crafts to help throw Miss Tina Givens an eparty to celebrate her new book being released October 5th!! And you all know how much I like a party (really… what else do I do?? haha)… so, we get to have a little chat and give-a-way for some yummy prizes! cha-ching!!

I have been a big fan of Tina’s fabric forEVER… (or what I like to refer to as my Etsy days). Her fabric has always brought a sophisticated, whimsical theme to my creations… thus making my soon to be mama clients go nutty for the goods! LOL and can I just state now… her new book { Sew Tina! } followed straight in line with what I have come to expect from her. Beautifully illustrated, easily deciphered, and completely intoxicating to a crafter’s spirit! and yes, you can take that to the bank! ;)



And get this… we got to interview her too-skie!! Can you even imagine how hard it was for me to narrow down all the questions I had about the way Tina’s brain works??? I had like a bazillion I could have thrown her way, but in the end I chose these and I do hope you enjoy getting to know Miss Tina a tad bit better!

Dear Miss Tina…

How did you get so dang fabulous??? It’s my personal belief talent like your comes from a deep place within a person and then one day it rears it’s fantastic head that start’s their amazing journey… what did that day look like for you??

I was sitting in a corporate board room among 20 people and the CEO of the company fired someone right on the spot, and reduced another guy, dad of 3 to tears. I remained in my seat but slowly closed my note pad, and returned home on a plane rethinking life and what's truly at my core. It was actually a sewing thing. Within a week I quit my job, and started my path to find my creative self. That started by the way with a super millinery course where I learned to block hats.... nice!

It’s very well known that you are considered a sure thing (in regards to talent of course!)… and with each fabric line or endeavor brings great success… so, I must ask… when you received your first { yes! }… What did you do??

Really, 'a sure thing'... yeah, a 'sure freak'... I had a {yes} moment when I first exhibited at the Stationery Show in NY back in 2004 when people where clamoring into my booth and throwing their orders at us... I couldn't believe my last minute plans worked... And then they proceeded to trek the pink flokati rug fluff all over the exhibit hall on the heels of their shoes... very cute moments...

But the first {yes} moment for the fabrics was when Westminster Fibers walked into my scrapbook booth at CHA and invited me to design fabrics for them. A seamstress at heart I couldn't believe my luck... That was definitely a 'yes' moment.
And then it was a while until I did the fist pump again. It was exhibiting the Zazu collection at market and I finally found my place and my signature I think on my fabric design... we won best booth that year too!

I can only imagine the length and amount of time your creations bring, however… what does one (with your mind) do in your off time??

I am an avid old movie watcher. I love 1930s and 40s movies, and when in the mood enjoy the 50s and 60s. 60s fashion was so cool. Go Betty Davis, Garbo, Bogart, oh Rita Hayworth, Doris Day..... those hats! I watch new film too of course... the independents and of course the fabulous new crazy budget films...

I love to cook and seem to do so when stressed and of course I enjoy down time with my kids... ice cream trips, shopping with my baby girl (she's 8), watching soccer games and gymnastics... My oldest is in college now so we travel for the weekends occasionally to see his games...

I have always found your fabric (first and foremost) incredibly rich and sophisticated… how have you been able to continue with a new fresh look your designs through the years??

I have changed over the years definitely... I am not formally trained so getting back to painting, sketching, was a sort of re-awakening. Painting for stationery is not too serious, I mean it is but it's more simplistic and easier to put out there. However, my characters have become more pronounced and more vivid... their personalities are shining because they're more confident.... same with my fabrics, over time I have learned what works and what doesn't. My 'sophisticated yet whimsical' flavor I think comes from a broad range of places and people and experiences. Growing up in an elegant home with multi-cultural influences from the Mediterranean, Western Europe and southern Africa among a group of eccentric, creative family members helped somewhat! And I continue to find inspiration in those old places but also the new places I visit and people I get to know. My next inspiration is from a childhood book I read and recently became re-acquainted with, Miss. Z the dark young lady. I mean it's filled with parrots, fountains, green lions and unicorns. How could I not dip into that ink well?

I myself have stocked up on your chubby owls print from your newest line Opal Owl… which makes me wonder… do you have favorites?? What would Miss Tina’s favorites be from her past lines…???

I have some I detest but will not tell. And I have my favorites of course, and they are because they achieved what I set out to do or because they hold a story or memory of something in my life. The toile from Chloe's Imagination, the Zazu floral with background of chandeliers, Treetop birds and loads from that collection, a polkadot with a silhouette bird from Fairy Tip-Toes, the fairy panels of course, Olivia's Holiday bird and of course all the fabrics from Opal Owl right now. I recently got my stash and whew that owl is something else. By the way she's appearing in stationery form in a new movie being filmed called THE HELP, from the novel The Help. I am so very proud of Opal. Opal Owl is about a woman I grew up with who is an amazing and wonderfully free spirit. I have new favorites too, but they're coming...... from a new collection called Haven's Edge..... hmmmmm.....

And now… we have this amazing book to drool over… how has this form of design differ from creating your fabric lines??

Interesting question. In designing fabric patterning with repeats and such is 2-dimensional and flat surface... either on fabric or paper it's a similar design set of skills I tap into. I love doing it. Designing garments and projects for the home is a completely different process and design sense. Two completely different things but most fabric designers can design product. I think being a visual person, having fun with color and pattern the two design processes can work together very nicely. I have also designed a collection of kids clothing called Biscuit and Poppet and it was a fun exercise in matching the various fabrics to the silhouettes or garments... I don't know maybe it all just melds together for me....

Finally… I must know… what’s next??

You know I am taking it one day at a time but I am starting to get to a point where I need to start focusing, but I hate that. I like having my fingers and toes dipped into all sorts of things. I will keep on designing fabrics as long as I can, and they'll have me; I will continue creating my little fun characters for stationery and ornaments (due out with Dept 56 in January), and probably more books but in other areas... maybe a wardrobe for adults, or accessories for us gals... and maybe a little more time off... Oh and wallpaper, and.....

Thanks Heather so much for having my on your blog.... A la Mode is cool baby... and I like your down-to-earth take....

Kisses
Tg

Yep… she’s fab… no getting around it! When you got it, ya got it. Period! Love her and LOVE Lark Crafts for sponsoring this shindig and giving one of you the chance to own this fantastic book { Sew Tina! } plus extra goodies too on their blog as well as the entire blog hop!!!

Just leave a quick message here for Miss Tina telling her your favorite film! It’s always fun to learn new things about each other ;)

I’ll keep this give-a-way open until September 29th at 9:00 pm PST. Then you can pop over to the next blog to learn more about Tina and have another chance at grabbing up her book for yourself! Check out
Lark Crafts for all the deets!!

{ one of my baby quilt's made with Chloe's Imagination fabric line }



Good Luck!!
Xo, Heather