Blog Archive

Brace Yourselves


Once I saw the magic of Dolce & Gabbana's A/W 2011 collection, I knew I needed braces. I'm not talking about the braces that make your teeth straight nor the braces that take you to prison (or entertain you in the bedroom) but the braces that keep your trousers up. With the trend of big slouchy trousers, you don't want any embarrassing accidents to happen. Luckily, I already have a pair of black braces but I have never worn them. Not to analyse too deeply why, skinny jeans stay put without any help and I never saw the need to accessorise. Now, that is about to change.

First of all, on the top of my wishlist, I have baggy trousers. Secondly, braces - or suspenders as they like to call them on the other side of the pond - aren't there purely for their function but also for their aesthetic appeal. Aesthetic meaning bold, masculin and the gentelemen of the roaring 20s. Think of the likes of Cary Grant, Charlie Chaplin and Nick Carraway from The Great Gatsby. Or perhaps just copy Dolce & Gabbana or Balmain because let's be honest, when something is perfection there's no point changing it.

pics: style.com